Saturday 25 October 2014

HMT Janata






HMT Times (Story of HMT Janata)

For many in Bharat HMT watches has been status symbol. For many HMT watch was a present from a proud father to his son or daughter on graduating from school or college.  Even I had a wish that my parents would present me a HMT watch and still remains one :( .

My first tryst with HMT started when I was 7-8 years old when I asked my father for a watch which he promptly refused but my grandmother handed over a HMT (do not remember the name) to me. I still feel it was a mistake as I broke the watch beyond repair. Later I got at least two digital and two analog watch (citizen with fantasy dial) which I used to adore till I completed my LS (Lower Secondary or 7th Standard).

My first analog watch a fantasy dial Citizen
 I graduated to high school at that time my father wanted to give away his Allwyn (Kirloskar Electric  Commemorative Watch) to someone which I opposed and after much deliberation I picked up that watch and still have it. 

Father's Allwyn Quartz (Kirloskar Electric Commemorative Watch for 100cr turn over in 1986)
In the mean time I also had an eye on HMT watches my grandfather and my aunt had. It was a 1972 white dial Sona and 1974 gold dial Sona (later came to know there were three a 1981 white dial Sona my uncle’s). I did not get any of these watches until recently had the courage to ask my uncle to give the third one to me. One of my uncle used to work at HMT machine tools had a HMT Janata which was a WFT (Watch Factory Tumkur Edition) given to him for 10 years of service. I was fascinated by the simple dial of the Janata and made up my mind to get one. After graduation and post-graduation I was still adoring my Allwyn given to me by my father but back of mind it was always Janata and Pilot along with the this evergreen Allwyn. After joining a research institute buying a watch from the first pay was a special dream and I wanted a Janata for sure. I always knew HMT watches were alive and kicking so the first thing I did after receiving my first salary was to search for a Janata quickly went to a showroom and asked for HMT Janata he started laughing and said “HMT ಸಿಗೋಲ್ಲ Titan / Sonata ಕೊಡಲೇ” (HMT is not available shall I give you a Titan or Sonata) since I knew the shopkeeper for almost 20+ years I asked him to find me a Janata. I was expecting a call from him and waited for almost a month or two but the call never came. In the mean time I even asked my uncle whether he can source one for me but he could not as there was no stock at HMT Bhavan at that time. One day I went to the known watch showroom to get a dry cell and my eyes fell on a HMT Janata. I asked him whether it’s for sale he said yes and asked him why he did not inform me he blabbered something but I was not keen on his answer too as I wanted the Janata, I asked him the price he said it was 450/- immediately asked him to reserve the watch for me and dashed home for money which I had kept reserve (first salary) for this and bought the Janata. Thus accomplishing my dream to buy a HMT from my first salary.
Screw Back Type Case Back (WFT)
My Uncle's HMT Janata (HMT Machine Tools Service Watch)
















First HMT Janata - Art Deco (Screw Back Case) the most prized one!
 Other Janata Variants from my humble collection (Inserted Indices [left] from Watch Factory Tumkur and Art Deco [right] from Ranibagh)

Dedicated to the great nation Bharat. A vedic national anthem

आ ब्रह्मन् ब्राह्मणो ब्रह्मवर्चसी जायतामा राष्ट्रे राजन्यः
शूर इषवयोऽअतिव्याधी महारथो जायतां दोग्ध्री धेनुर्वाढानड्वानाशुः
सप्तिः पुरन्धिर्योषा जिष्णू रथेष्ठाः सभेयो युवास्य यजमानस्य वीरो जायतां निकामे निकामे नः

पर्जन्यो वर्षतु फलवत्यो न आषधयः पच्यन्तां योगक्षेमो नः कल्पताम् ॥

3 comments:

  1. Love this blog. Started reading from the Beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does the wft and 2000....xxx means?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WFT is Watch Factory Tumkur
    2000....XXX is the case code, year of manufacture and other info

    ReplyDelete

HMT Japanese Janata

 HMT Janata Export Edition coming soon....